A blog about the experiences and adventures in the Republic of Georgia. Here you will find pictures, almost-daily journals, and creative/challenging/absurd stories. Please indulge. Be blessed and not offended.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Munich, an Ordination, and a Bishop

I have arrived to Giurjistan, safe and sound. The flight from Munich to Tiflis (Tbilisi) was somewhat eventful, not lending itself to a nap.

I arrived in the early morning, before dawn. Religious Xtremist Father Merab received me at the airport. He was wondering why I packed so much. I told him I was staying forever.

After my first day here, how can I deny my staying here forever? I've been accepted and praised (for the lack of a better, more humbler word). To my amazement, I've been confused for being German, Russian, Latvian, and Georgian. I've yet to be confused for an American.

I was virtually ordained in today's service, where we celebrated Jesus' Baptism. I was honored to be there. I was dubbed, in many occasions Father Peder "Mama Petre" (as an earlier post suggests). I felt very welcomed and could not imagine being in a better place. After I spoke, Merab leaned over to me and said, "this is the part where you will be ascended into heaven." Sure enough, everyone lifted their arms and prayed.

Bishop Malkhaz took me to dinner with a few other young adults, Benjamin, David, Rusudan, Nino, and Mikhail. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and prayer. We toasted to peace, most importantly, to love, to the country of Georgia, to family, and to Mama Petre's arrival-- it was also referred to as "the Second Coming [of Peder]," as the Bishop announced.

I am at the Betheli Center now, there is a service for the elderly (who live at the Betheli Center's Old Folks' Home). I must rush to the service.

Nakhwamdis, Mshwidobisa,

Ghmerto da Glotsos,

mama petre

5 Comments:

Blogger asprockitrockit said...

Ha! I can just see it all...those peeps are fun & funny! Make sure to dance with the young boy and older ladies, but not the Bishop!
St. Nino emailed me and said you were presented to the church and it is great to have you there, too.

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Molly Grisham said...

Didi, it is now Monday morning in the most beautiful Georgia but you have not posted since Friday. I am afraid this will not do. I know how difficult it can be to keep up with posting, believe me I do, but unless you are at the top of Trinity mountain looking for the x-file Derek and I left you then you really have no excuse. In fact, even if you are at the top of the Trinty I am sure you are with a Georgian who has cell phone access and you can text a post. Wish I were there . . . Peace,
MOLLY

8:51 PM

 
Blogger M.A.P. said...

Thanks for keeping up on the posts (correction: post). I am so terribly sorry I have not been able to keep up. I am finally installed at ICCN. I do not know for sure what I will be doing, but I'm going to a meeting shortly. Peace!

12:36 AM

 
Blogger Molly Grisham said...

How kind of you to reply to my comment with a comment of your own. Let me clarify, I am not looking for additional comments but rather full postings. Yalla P-didi, yalla.

Peace,
MOLLY

11:59 AM

 
Blogger bbnana said...

Yay Peder! I want to be there too! I have yet to see what it is all about! When you are king/president/bishop of all of Georgia will you get me a free flight? I will be expecting this soon! Peace to you my brother!

3:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home