A blog about the experiences and adventures in the Republic of Georgia. Here you will find pictures, almost-daily journals, and creative/challenging/absurd stories. Please indulge. Be blessed and not offended.

Monday, January 22, 2007

It is time

(Merab and Bishop Malkhaz in Bolisi)

Perhaps it is time for a new post... What do you think?



I will give a brief summary of my recent activities.

Saturday: I spent most of the day reading at the Good Samaritan House.

Sunday: This was a very full day. New experiences, new people. I started the day with a chapel service at Bishop Malkhaz’s house along with several other youth. This was great gathering for all of us, and particularly good for me because I was able to meet other youth and catch up with those who I had not seen in quite some time. After this we headed to Cathedral Baptist Church.

There was a wonderful service celebrating the women who work for St Nino’s Order. They are like Mother Theresas. Or, as it was said in the service, they are like Good Samaritans. Reconciliation and hospitality were central themes that day. An interesting fact about Georgia is that there has been a great migration of Chinese people (who by trade are very successful business people). There have recently been attacks on the Chinese community. Malkhaz put things into perspective, saying for example, that there are many Georgians in Athens (approx 55,000), and the Greeks are not persecuting them, the Greeks are not harming them. Similarly, he said, we should not harm the Chinese, who are made in the image of God.

Later on, I went with Malkhaz, Merab, et al to a community in southern Georgia (in Bolisi) for a feast. We ate with quite an interesting group of people: a soldier, a top military medic, a doctor, a truly grand hostess, and clergy (being Malkhaz and Merab)… oh, and an american (I guess that’s me?).



Monday: I began working at the International Center on Conflict and Negotiation (ICCN). During my first day I was interviewed to see what kind of work would be best for me at ICCN. It seems as though my initial involvement will consist of helping create a greater network in Georgia with regards to fighting the sex traffic. Today I had lunch with Rusudan (ICCN) and Natali (World Vision) in a Pizza shop downtown. I was given a brief history of the recent developments in the government of combating the sex traffic. It was not till recently that Georgia adopted laws that specifically punish those who are involved in those kinds of illegal activities.

I am excited to continue working at ICCN in these upcoming weeks. I am getting to know quite a few people.

What have I learned? One of the most important discoveries that I made is that it is extremely draining to try to interpret Georgian all day. On Sunday night, after our feast in Bolisi, I was sitting next to Malkhaz. I slouched down in my seat and immediately fell asleep. I did not necessarily intend to do so, but I was subconsciously entertaining the idea of doing so. I woke up 40 minutes later. Perhaps this was unkosher. I felt bad, but physically I felt re-energized, so I guess that cancelled everything out. Malkhaz, noticing that I was awake, said “Father Peder, are you alright?” And without much eloquence, I replied “Yes, but I’m tired.” I added “I have been trying to interpret Georgian all day.” Malkhaz said confidently, “Oh, no, no. Don’t do that. It is not wise.” We chuckled.

I have been honored far beyond what I deserve. I feel honored to be honored, but am certainly undeserving of it. I am grateful for the people God has put in my path, and for the path that God has put in front of me, and for the paths that have crossed my own path. They have been truly enriching and delightful.

I have noticed, as you have most certainly, that there is a great lack of pictures on this Blog. I will do my best to put pictures up. Tell me what or who you would like to see pictures of. Perhaps Malkhaz, Merab, ICCN, Cathedral Baptist Church, Good Samaritan House?

I have not posted any pictures because most of them have been terrible shots.

Mshwidobisa

2 Comments:

Blogger asprockitrockit said...

Great posts, PDM!!! You write well and I like the pixs (including the artistic one). Can I see some shots of Ben, Tako, & Nino if you have them? Oh, and Merab's fam, too, Katie and the kids!

6:32 PM

 
Blogger Suleima said...

Peder! You mentioned they honored the women who work with St. Nino's order. Visit Babushka(sp?)!!!!! We never got a pic of her. That would be awesome and I'm sure she would be very happy to see you.
Ditto-Ang's pic requests

Loving the blog. Say Hi to everyone for me pleassssssse!

God Bless! Shalom. Be Safe.

7:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home